Welcome to the catalogue of the Chipping Campden History Society Archive.
Here you can
search through our collection. Then if you want to know more about a particular item, contact us with the reference number. Volunteers have begun to scan items from the archive, and we will be gradually adding them to the website. We do not charge a fee but look for donations to help towards the costs of maintaining our archives.
The story of Campden Haymakers told by Josephine Griffiths. Includes hard copy photographs of the five men which are also in COMMA . 1875.
Digitised photographs and descriptions relating to Frederick Merriman’s family history, his gold medal at the 1908 Olympics in the tug of war, and his return to Broad Campden on retirement, when he set up the Bijou Band and other entertainment.
Used as a CADHAS display.
Other family members mentioned are the Waine and Ashwin families.
Five Campden trade tokens: William Coltman 1667, John Dickens 1657, Valentin Smith 1651, William Yeate, mercer, 1666, George Freeman. See papers in Query 17.089
Handbell used for opening the cattle market, situated behind the Noel Arms.
Campden Town Band – certificate as winners of contest at Madresfield Musical Competition 3rd May 1904
Individual winners’ certificate awarded to F. Bennett as above
Long Service Certificate awarded to F. Bennett 30th Nov 1946 National League of Bands’ Associations
Photograph of Campden Town Band c. 1912, Bandmaster J Pyment
History of Campden Cricket Club
‘Naive’ painting of a boat with sailors. no description nd
Painted gold stick used by Hon. Gerard Noel when Gold Stick in Waiting at the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II
Transcription of article in Evesham Journal 1935 by J C Kingzett, Campdonian who emigrated to Canada. Contains references 1865-82 to : Wolds End, Cidermill Lane, turnpikes, transport, Grammar School, Church restoration, building of police station, penny readings, swimming.
Evesham Journal June 27 1936
Advertisement for re-opening by Earl of Gainsborough on April 20 1989 and ball with music by Malvern Rhine Band April 21 1989. Includes list of patrons of ball and ticket sellers.
Drawings by John Falconer Associates for Trustees.