Skip to content
Make an enquiry
Bringing local history to life
Events & Activities
You are here:
Search results for 'Search this website'
Victory in Europe
It is May 1945 and the end of the War is in sight, but for Klaus Behr, a prisoner-of-war in Springhill Camp, the future seems bleak and he fears for...
The Almshouses The Almshouses, near the Church and opposite the ruins of Campden House, were endowed by Sir Baptist Hicks. …the crowning achievement of the domestic Cotswold style… The Almshouses...
The Campden Wonder
Three hundred and fifty years ago Campden was horrified when a well-known local man did not come home one evening and his bloodstained neck cloth was found next morning near...
(Elizabeth) Mary Dee was the daughter of a well-known local farming family, born in 1880 to Henry and Martha Dee, of Longlands Farm, Mickleton. She had nine brothers and sisters,...
1644 – Cancellation of Dover’s Games! A year before the burning of old Campden House, in early June, King Charles and his army were in Moreton, then they set off...
Maypole dancing is a very old country custom that is still performed in Campden. At the Whit Week Floral Parade in 1897 the cart carrying the Campden maypole dancers followed...
May Day Many towns and villages – and countries – have their special May Day celebrations. Chipping Campden celebrates the coming of Spring and blossomtime with maypole and Morris dancing...
1. Cutting from Evesham Journal showing a new seat presented by the Campden Society. Nigel Townshend (Society Chairman), Denis Stokes (District Councillor), Alma Davenport (Warden Badgers field), Nelson Chapman (Director of Housing, Cotswold District Council), Joan Atkins (Society Treasurer), 14th June 1984. 2. 2 articles mentioning Montrose garden in the Arthritis Research Council’s Mid-West News. Spring ...
The Fields in the Valley
Covers 689AD – 1799. Includes old hamlets,medieval fields and wool.
Replica silver seal made by Harts of Campden and commissioned from them by the Worshipful Company of Founders. It was presented to CADHAS in 2013. The original was owned by Richard Weoley, a Campden man, who held the position of Master of the Company in 1631 and 1640 [see also book giving biographical and genealogical ...
Lists of Graves
Early burials The churchyard of St. James’ Church has been in use throughout the centuries. Early burials were normally unmarked and, in accordance with custom, bones were eventually removed to...
Harrowby estate, Norton
Letter from Michael Bosson (Harrowby MSS Trust) to Allan Warmington in response to a letter (not here). References to agent Thomas Jones, 1852 and correspondence with Griffiths at that time, field name changes, Mickleton parish and Charles Aston. From Allan Warmington’s effects.
Map of Broad Campden, hand drawn copy from 1818 map
Map of Broad Campden, Apparently a copy of part of the 1818 map of the Gainsborough estate. Hand drawn, showing field names.
Map of Broad Campden, hand drawn.
Map of Broad Campden, Hand Drawn, original, 25 inch to 1 mile. The Right Hon. Lord Northwick “1839” map. Based on the O.S. map of 1923. Field names inserted from an earlier map, c. 1853. Houses up to 1970 added.
Open field farming
Notes about open field farming by Jill Wilson * Crimscote strips * Open field Farming – Oosthuizen * Open field farming glossary * Ridge and furrow sources
German Field Gun: background papers
Background papers to the story of the German Field Gun in 1919: *5 extracts from Craig Fees’ thesis on Mumming in a North Cotswold Town. *photo of field gun in cartwash * photo of Mayor George Ebborn with macebearers H G Ellis and X Pitcher *images of receipts for moving the gun…see *images of the newspaper account of the two ...
Frankie's Good News Sheet
Four editions of the newspaper published privately by Frank J. Owens of Chipping Campden in 2012. Contents largely concerned with opposition to planning applications [including Badger’s Field] and other contentious issues. One edition dated March, one April (ish) 2012, one June 2012, the other undated.
Agnes Noel, file of information from her scrapbook
Agnes Noel, file of information and research from the scrapbook kept by Agnes Noel. With CD of the same and the talk given to CADHAS.
Scuttlebrook Wake Programme 1982
Scuttlebrook Wake programme, 04/06/1982 – 05/06/1982
Quarrying and Working with Stone
Campden’s motto is ‘History in Stone’ and the oolitic limestone that is quarried around Campden is what gives the characteristic honey-coloured buildings their appeal. Here are a selection of images...
Scuttlebrook Wake programme, May 30th 1953.
"The Pump" at Leasebourne, notes.
Handwritten notes on “The Pump” at Leasebourne, given in 1832 by the Rev.The Hon. Leland Noel, Vicar of Campden (1826-1832).
Campden Coat of Arms
Grant of Arms for Chipping Campden, June 1972. Colour copy . Covering letter from Mr F.A.Holland.
Joseph Hartwell, 1937
Papers from Tess Evans, her grandfather, Joseph Hartwell. 1. 22.5.03 Info re grandfather Joseph Hartwell, valet to the Gainsborough family. 2.17.5.03 Info re Noel godparents of Joseph Hartwell, his trip to China and breeding of Chow dogs, laying the foundation stone of the Presbytery, 1937, builder was Edgar Hartwell, great-aunt Agnes was nursemaid to the Noels. 3. Copy ...
Other ways to search
Search the archive
List of subjects
List of formats
List of keywords
Privacy and cookies
The Old Police StationHigh StreetChipping CampdenGloucestershireGL55 6HB