Skip to content
Make an enquiry
Bringing local history to life
Events & Activities
You are here:
Search results for 'Search this website'
The German Field Gun
2 receipts for removing a German Field Gun from Pool Meadow to the Old Market from CC Parish Council, Charles J Lucas, Clerk, signed by Paul James and J Harewood 24 April 1920
History of Fieldnames
Allan Warmington’s research papers for work on Farms and Fields, includes: 1. 3 sets of notes from farms and Fields working party meeting 30/3/1999, 31/8/1999 and 25/10/1999,. 2. Some 18th Century Field names from Broad Campden Court Leet. 3. Farms around campden 4. List of Field and Close Names. 5. Notes on Fields and farms 1784 – 1876 6. The three ...
Compton Scorpion Estate, map, copy.
Compton Scorpion Estate, Ilmington parish, map of the field system 1830,copy of a map and field sizes from the Shakespeare Centre, (ER23/51/1). Lord Barham, Sir George Philips Bart., Robert Canning Esq, Revd. Henry Townshend and Mr W Potter mentioned on the map. Letter from Geoffrey Powell to Allan Warmington about other papers held at the ...
Charlie Ladbrook 1896 - 1987
Charlie Ladbrook was a familiar figure in the streets of Campden, small in stature, in his brown smock and flat cap, walking with a rolling gait and usually flanked by...
Programmes for an entertainment at the Town Hall
Programme for an entertainment ‘Still Waters run Deep’ at the Town Hall, in aid of the Town Hall Restoration Fund. April 1899. Reported in Evesham Journal. 2 copies Programme for an entertainment ‘The Shades of Night’ and ‘Sweethearts’ at the Town Hall, in aid of the Town Hall Restoration Fund? 1902
Chipping Campden School Building Appeal
Booklet produced by the Building Design Division of Gloucestershire County Council for the Building Appeal at the time of the School’s 550 year anniversary in 1990. The proposed new building would provide new accommodation for art, music and business studies. Floor and elevation plans included.
'Good fortune coin', given by Mrs Willis to May Keyte at her marriage in August 1920
‘Good fortune coin’, given by Mrs Willis to May Charlotte Keyte at her marriage in August 1920 to Percy T. Jones, at St.James Church.
The Millennium Post
The Millennium Sign The heraldic town sign stands on the north side of Campden High Street on the grassy bank eastwards of the Market Hall, almost exactly where the old...
The Impact of Inclosure
Impact on landscape Inclosure established the pattern of fields, hedges, fences, walls, that are the hallmark of our landscape – very different from the open downs and commons of previous...
Campden Field Names
Field Names – notes by Jill Wilson Elements of field names Field and close names 1722 map field names Glossary of field names
The Logic of Open Field Systems
Standing Conference for Local History, pub. London, 1974
Campden Haymakers of Long Ago
The story of Campden Haymakers told by Josephine Griffiths. Includes hard copy photographs of the five men which are also in COMMA . 1875.
A Fertile Field
An outline history of the Guild of Gloucestershire Craftsmen and crafts in Gloucestershire, including Chipping Campden, Pub. The Guild of Gloucestershire Craftsmen and Cheltenham Art Gallery and Museum, 1983. From Allan Warmington’s effects.
Wooden toy made by WWII German prisoner of war
Wooden ‘run-along’ toy, a German Santa Claus, made in WWII by a German prisoner of war POW. The toy was made for a boy on a farm at Great Tew, Oxfordshire, where four POWs worked in 1945-6. They were in Springhill Camp, near Chipping Campden, and stayed on the farm for a few days at ...
The Threadmaker's House
The origins of this house in Sheep Street have not yet been discovered, but in 1781 a plaque was fixed to the outside wall by John Ellis, a threadmaker and...
14th February 1645: New muskets arrive in Campden The soldiers forming the Royalist garrison in Old Campden House were delighted by the delivery of ‘three score snaphance muskets’. These were...
Campden in Lockdown
What has been going on in Campden during the Coronavirus lockdown? CCHS invited residents to record their thoughts, activities and experiences. Campden High Street at 9.20 on 9th April 2020....
A Wartime Campden Christmas for a German PoW
Klaus Behr was a German prisoner of war at Springhill Camp, near Campden, from capture on 4th September 1944 until repatriation on 7th February 1948. His diary was translated...
On 19th December 1387 Richard II was facing difficulties from the Lords Appellant; his supporter, Robert de Vere, who had himself been impeached for treason, raised an army of 4,000...
Campden's Olympic Gold Medallist
Constable Fred Merriman Frederick “Fred” Harris Merriman (18 May 1873 – 27 June 1940) Frederick was the second son of Philip and Dinah Merriman, who had six other children: William...
Campden Medieval Open Fields, Maps
3 Maps showing suggested Medieval Open Fields, OS map of Chipping Campden, hand-coloured to show the open field structure. Torn condition. From Allan Warmington’s effects: 1. Coloured to show sub-division of Campden into Hamlets. Broad Campden; Westington; Berrington; The Borough; Combe, Campden Wood and Court Piece; Other 18th Century ancient enclosures. 2. Coloured ...
Victory in Europe
It is May 1945 and the end of the War is in sight, but for Klaus Behr, a prisoner-of-war in Springhill Camp, the future seems bleak and he fears for...
Campden in the Civil War 1642-45
Today Campden appears so peaceful that it is difficult to imagine that any fighting could have taken place here. Indeed early histories seem to have taken this for granted and...
The Battle of Campden (or Mickleton) Tunnel
Campden Tunnel The coming of the railway In 1821 a line from Moreton-in-Marsh to Stratford-upon-Avon was opened to carry passengers and goods by horse-drawn carriages and trucks. In 1825 the...
Other ways to search
Search the archive
List of subjects
List of formats
List of keywords
Privacy and cookies
The Old Police StationHigh StreetChipping CampdenGloucestershireGL55 6HB