Some shops in Campden have been in the same use for many years but most change ownership quite frequently. Our archives hold photographs going back 100 years and we are also recording the uses of buildings in the High Street now, building up a picture of the changing commercial life of the town.
see also the story of postal delivery in Campden
Jesse Taylor's first shop
After various changes of use the shop is now Frankie Doodle.
One hundred years ago this shop was run by Martha Ellis,who sold fish and vegetables.
Ellis's closed in 1958 and had a variety of owners before Drinkwaters took over and selling fresh fruit and vegetables.
Keeleys and Post Office; note how the windows have changed slightly from Prouts and Roberts layout.
In the 1920s this was Prout's store, selling clothes for the whole family
Rob in the post office shop
The Post Office until 2016. It is now based in The Old Police Station
Cotswold Collection, a clothes shop, which closed in 2010
Now 'Le Tradition', selling French bread and pastries
Walters tea shop, the half-timbered building, well-used by cycling clubs
Still called Walters, but run by Mr & Mrs Frank James. This photo was taken in 1953 when Frank, a noted confectioner, made cakes as the Royal Regalia.
The building in 2001. Note that the roof line is different from the mansard roof of the Roberts & Co photograph.