Toc H Newsletters

Keeping in touch with WWII servicemen

‘Toc H’ was Talbot House, set up in 1915 in Poperinge, Belgium by Rev. ‘Tubby’ Clayton as a rest house for the troops. It was open to all ranks and ‘promoted a special feeling of fellowship with those who rested there’. After the War, the fellowship was extended in England to all those who needed support and somewhere to stay.

A Campden branch was set up in the early 30s with a base in the renovated Vicarage stables. There are reports in the Evesham Journal of social events and fundraising to support ex-servicemen. When WWII came, the group had a new role – keeping local servicemen in touch with Campden news and keeping up morale. The Toc H newsletters from October 1939 – September 1946 contain local news and amusing tales with reminders that people at home were thinking of them.
Have a look at the Newsletters below:

Downloads

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.