Servicing horses to servicing cars
The news that F W Cutts Garage is to close after 100 years of service in the town has prompted a look at the previous use of the premises. It was a blacksmith’s forge for well over 100 years, and busy farrier’s shop too. The premises were part of the Gainsborough estate, sold in the early 1920’s and then bought by F W Cutts who set up the first garage in town.
The previous tenants were the Hayden family who came to Campden from Winchcombe and became an integral part of the town. Ernest (Ernie), born in 1905, spent his working life working as a car mechanic at Cutts; Percy became manager of Morrey’s Stores; and Harold was well known for his cricketing prowess.
See below for the full story of Blacksmith to Garage.